Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
type 4
State Route
type 4

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: just run the plate   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 10:50 pm

Going no frills oil cover going back on and the filter will come later. Eric it has the sound.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 1:09 am

The sound is an addiction!
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 1:57 am

I can't wait to see this thing when it's done. I am sure it will be just awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: getting closer   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 10:45 pm

I made the gauge cluster out of some stainless steel. I even welded it with standard mig wire. I guess if we keep on working with stainless I will need to get some correct wire. All I can tell you if you have never done it MOVE . I was way down on the amps and still blew through.

The gauges are basically wired up oil pump cover changed out. The gauges are all German oil pressure is in bars and the oil temp is in Celsius. My boost gauge was for my truck. Boost line is about 1 foot short.

So as of now no oil cooler and no oil filter. I will take care of that problem before it gets hot. I am going to change the oil tomorrow just to make if super fresh. I am going to stick with Rotella until I get it sorted than use my Summit Racing oil.

Still have not made a throttle cable, that is the last thing in the engine compartment.

I wish I had another week til tech day so close.

Special thanks to Matt

cheers
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: beast   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 11:25 pm

Progress report---------------------------- Video coming this weekend maybe Friday

Oil pump cover Done
oil change Done
Wiring harness made
The generator was a success, charges. Dont be afraid to tear one apart and clean before buying another one. We had a broken wire and it was plain as day.

Throttle cable done 1972 VW bus it is a braided cable and I might say dont use it. It have a funky crimp a couple of inches from the pedal had to cut off. Routed the cable through the fuel line hole. My fuel line is has been re routed. Bike brake cable sleeve from fire wall to carb. I had a mountain bike had brake and used the adjuster thing that is on the handle and bolted it to the fire wall. A couple of sweeping curves and presto changeo. I made a cable holder and done.

The biggest disappointment of the day is my junk gauges. I bought them a Bug-o-Rama for the holder, It was three gauges and had a slight angle to them for the driver. The Volt gauge works. Oil temp pegs could be a short and the pressure is DOA

So it starts right up sounds great not to loud. So I have to read up on the waste gate its different in a good was it looks adjustable using vacuum where my Porsche is a spring

Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 12:00 am

If you just need a cable I have a new one. Not sure if it will work for your application but I thought I'd offer.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: thanks   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 10:29 am

I needed something a foot or so longer.

Thanks anyway

David
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: did you know   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 3:51 pm

Well I went for a little ride today, when I was backing up the driveway I noticed on the passenger seat the torsion covers. Pucker factor 2 on a scale to 10

Cold bugger, weather was in the 40's no icing but she was not happy.

And of the battery in the camera was dead.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: ok    Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 9:26 pm

Have you ever scratch your head and think you know that carburetor looks crocked and it s not running like it did. Its fixed.

Found and enrichment circuit just working on an idea for a lever. When you buy a brake cable from Walmart it comes with 4 cables in the box. Thanks Walmart..

Tachometer is mounted using an older Sun 3 inch model.

Got the torsion plates on and tighten. I have to lower the front end now.

Movie coming tomorrow.

As Speedie said she likes to run not idle, when you drive it it like to be in a higher RPM range.

I have to do some homework on the traction bar I thought it was a wham bam thank you mame. Not this car. Remember I have a longer deck lid if that make a difference. If I used bumper bolt holes the only thing I could use it for is to hang my license plate.

Later Arrow
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: traction bar   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 5:42 pm

This morning brought new inspiration for the traction bar. I made a rear motor mount traction bar. It is mounted tight against the motor to help distribute the stress to the lower mount hole. I believe I need to reinforce the inner fender well/wall. Everything was going great until (that is a nasty weld oh crap I am out of gas.)

No
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: How about some pics   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 7:46 pm

Real estate is hard to come by lately so I had to get a little creative.

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 3-16-110

Now we dont want any rain to ruin the regulator do we. Rain hat

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 3-16-115

Traction bar This is a mock up I have a better piece of steel to use in case it not up to par.

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 3-16-112

Full rear view if i dont run a bumper I may mount the rear plate on it.

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 3-16-113

So clean up the wiring with a loom and shoot a video.

Zoom cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Are you going to drive it to the Tech Day tomorrow?

Are you going? We could talk about my new favorite subject...

What a Face
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: depends   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 8:01 pm

I will try but not the bug or the Porsche do not have deck lids. It would be a Honda day, my Element is All Wheel drive

Dc
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: video   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 11:12 pm

Light camera action

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers bounce bounce cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 11:32 pm

Ohhhh YAAA BABY! That's what I'm talkin' about!!!
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: thanks   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 11:34 pm

It has been a lot of work to get it to this point

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 12:34 pm

AWESOME THAT IT RUNS BUT................... scratch ITS NOT DONE TILL I SEE IT DRIVING lol! TODAY IS A PERFECT DAY FOR A DRIVE. TURBO + NICE COLD AIR = ?????????

THROW THAT LICENSE PLATE ON AND BRING IT BY. ROADS ARE ALL CLEAR SO YOU REALLY HAVE NO NEED FOR ALL WHEEL DRIVE Sleep

I PERSONALLY DONT LIKE DRIVING ANYOTHER VEHICLE OTHER THAN MY VW WHEN THERES SNOW. THEY ARE UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME IN THE SNOW. AND EVEN MORE FUN TO DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol! IN OTHER WORDS.....GET R DUN!!!!! LETS SEE IT ON THE ROAD Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: this may help   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 9:10 pm

So got the Taxes done money coming back.

Chris picked up my Argon so I can finish up the traction bar/rear motor mount tomorrow. I am going to add some sheet metal to the inner tail section it will add strength. I will treat for some natures weight reduction. (rust). I am going to use a technique they use on 914 for structural reinforcement. drill 5/16 holes and spot weld the panel in. I will show pic's later.

I need to order some carburetor rebuild kits from CB so I am going to go over this one. I ran a cable yesterday for the enrichment circuit The lever is right behind the emergency brake. Its a thumb shifter from a road bicycle and a new cable. It was just long enough.

I need to mount the coil better and I brazed the brass nut that holds the turbo oil return line. So remount the valve cover is in order.

I made a templet for a new rear valance but I am a little concerned about the air behind this beast. Nothing may be better than the wrong something.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 11:54 pm

Music...Sweet music.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: tomorrow   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 11:17 pm

Today was one of those days just could not get into the garage. Tomorrow is another day

David
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: traction bar   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 10:04 pm

Well after hours of work only two more welds and I am done with the traction bar/rear motor mount. Is it over engineered maybe, two bolts and you can pull the motor. That is what I was looking for.

Getting close Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Baby steps.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: once road worthy    Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 3:19 pm

After I get the Bug sorted out I think I may drop this bad boy in.

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 1-26-113

The big one not the little old 009 cheers cheers cheers bounce cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks for stopping by today! Had a good time talking to you and Chris. Great to see (and hear) Lowla on the street. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: her   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 10:15 pm

I believe it is now an adolescent teen boy

Today was a maiden voyage for what ever its new name is. Driving out of the Community I notice a CHP driving by, they never drive by. Take off out the gate 0-45 nice traction bar is good so 45 it is pop over the hill there he is old Mr CHP an I am doing the speed limit. If he was two minutes earlier I would of been pissed. He did not pull me over I guess I look like a Baja.

How to describe the car. You will never sneak up on anyone. It is totally drivable. I have to rebuild the carburetor and I have some new plugs to go in. Colder as per the book. I need gauges. I want to try my other boost gauge, it shows boost and vacuum. So you know its working. The Turbo is real big you have to be really in it for boost. That is not a bad thing. We boosted to around 5 lbs. I talked to Eric about unbolting the traction bar to relieve some stress on the rear of the motor. I am running three bolts it may be to bad on the motor but I don't want to break anything.

Tinker time

scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next