Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car

Go down 
+3
silvertonguedevil
west coast ghia
Mateo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car Empty
PostSubject: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 2:58 am

You have to start somewhere and build from that...

Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car 86mm_c10

Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car Kay_2-10

I have already stripped her down and I am hoping to pull the body off the pan in the next week or so.

It has begun, I am obsessed... bounce
Back to top Go down
west coast ghia
SacTown
west coast ghia

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 3:59 am

where stocking you, i mean watching you
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/lonnyatforyourride
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 9:41 am

So this is going to be a stripped down race car?
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 1:43 pm

Yup, that's the plan.
Back to top Go down
Submarine Driver

Submarine Driver

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 3:31 pm

You guys better pay close attention to this one. Knowing Matt she's going to be VERY fast, and red Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 10:25 pm

Well she will be fast, that's a given. Off the chain fast, like should be able to break into the mid 10s fast. No street option for this girl. Off and on, that's about it.

That's the goal anyway. My engine 'consultant' might talk me down a bit, but I know she will be able to do an 11.6 in her sleep.

The motor design is actually not too much of a concern at this point, just need money. lol.

The rolling chassis part is what is kind of freaking me out.

But I do know one thing, she will not be red. affraid This one is going to be flat black with RED accents. lol.

I am hoping to have a widow's hourglass on the front in red, but not solid. Instead I want it done in some sort of tribal markings. And some sort of tribal marking along the rear fenders, also in red.

I am kind of banking on being able to convince a few people I know to help out with the design, and if I can sweet talk them into it, I am sure Kay will look wicked.

Now all that being said, the car will be able to perform, me on the other hand is an unknown.

But I am looking forward to having fun.

Oh and I still need to settle on her full name...
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 11:26 pm

What is it about the rolling chassis that has you freaked out?
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 12:56 am

WOW, neato bandito Matt! What does Kay stand for now?

Oh, and I happen to know a guy that has built like one of the best racecar body frames in the history of racing VW's... I bet he could help you out on your chassis concerns... Wink
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 2:13 am

LOL, She said Neato Bandito.

That is like Peachy Keen Bosso Neato man..

Kay is short for Kaos (goes with Mayhem), so currently I have:

Karmik Kaos or Kaotic Karmann, but neither one is really lighting my fire.

All the good ones are taken. Bad Karma, Karmageddon, etc...

Goin Ghia was a consideration, but I think it was taken too and it doesn't really go with the whole Kay theme.

Such technical problems as a name are what keep me awake at night.

I am sure 'Yoda' can answer the never ending questions that poor from my head on a daily basis, it is just the amount of time involved to put it all together.
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 2:25 am

Didn't you have a name for one with the word Peaches.... something-or-other? Or am I having a bad flashback?
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 9:31 am

How about Karmadillo?
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 11:57 am

dsimas wrote:

Didn't you have a name for one with the word Peaches.... something-or-other? Or am I having a bad flashback?

There was a '57 Oval that was named 'Peaches and Scream' that was for sale when I was growing up in Corona.

It had the ever popular 2180 of the time.

I guess I could pay homage and resurrect the name, but some old skooller might come up and call me on it.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 3:10 pm

Or "Karma Chameleon".....
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 4:37 pm

Dude! Really...

I don't think you're feeling it. Either that or you're intentionally trying to be funny.

I am thinking the later.

I don't think visions of Boy George and his colorful outfits is the image I am going for.

Think intimidation and fear.

Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 2:19 am

BIG cam to go with BIG crank. Shocked

Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car Cam-op10

Cam gears and rods are next...
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 12:14 pm

Ok. I'll stop with the name recommendations.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 1:32 am

CB Race Rods came in, Chevy journals to fit the BAC (big ass crank). Wink

Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car Cb_rod10

Pistons and case are on the way.

Going to go with CB CNC Competition Eliminator heads, need the flow for the BACs (big ass carbs).

Ordering some intakes to do some work on, that should be fun.

Almost ready to begin the build. This thread might start to get interesting, stay tuned. Shocked
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 pm

FK89? Did you get the short mani's? Are you gonna try porting the intakes yourself? Are you running 48 IDAs? OOOOhhh, I'm getting excited.

I am still sticking with "Wicked Sister" for my favorite name. But

Widow
Maker

with the WM making the spider....that rocks too.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 1:36 pm

FK-87 on the CAM, but it was made with some 'special instructions' from the man.

Typical scenario, I was going to run an FK-89 or I even found a Web cam that I liked with similar numbers but it would get me the same lift but running 1.4 rockers instead of 1.5s.

I walked in with my little paper of notes and Ray went through the whole scenario and it was determined the FK-87 was best, with his 'additional' modifications. My little paper went straight to the trash.

Since there are no engine restrictions in my class (although that could change) I am going to run at least 48's. If I win the lottery I would like to throw a set of 60mm's on there, hence the big Comp Elim heads. Gonna run those heads pretty much out of the box and not get too crazy, yet...

Yea, I am going to do the grinding on the intakes, but under close supervision. Kind of a training deal. Intakes are not too expensive so if I blow throw the sides, not a huge loss.

I am still planning on taking it slow, but if I can drive it, the car could be competitive in Super Street, which is heads up. That would be cool.

I am leaning towards Wicked Sister, since I am setting May up to run indexes when Kay needs a rest. So it kind of makes sense, I like the familial ring to it.

OR there is rumblings around the house of someone might wanting to run as well, maybe Powder Puff or Cal-Look.

I getting a tad excited as well. bounce
Back to top Go down
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:32 pm

Hope you can make it out by next season. Here's a motivational picture of current and former Champions.

Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car 406462_2399467593637_1459462750_32029126_266849314_n
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 5:53 pm

Oh yea, I am there. even if I have to run May, she is good to go...
Back to top Go down
rayvallero

rayvallero

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 11:29 am

I will keep you on track matty , Neato ! We need the pics taker of all time, Dawn;
to do a PRO thread on the build when we start. We can call it MATT'S MADNESS!
This word is from the top so listsen up..... Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.valleros.com
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 8:51 pm

So intake manifolds came in:

Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car Intake10

Competition Eliminator on one end, 48 IDA on the other.

They're off to welding to have some additional material added. They need a little bit of grinding here and there to make them special. Wink

Mainly on the carb side, there is no way at the moment that a 60mm butterfly will open up in them. You just never know, might want that option. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 8:58 pm

Yeehaww!

I don't know much other than my own build. So, they sort of look like spreadports, but not? And the tops are already much larger than the bottom, would people run them that way? How big are your venturis going to be?
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 9:09 pm

Kind of similar to spread ports aren't they.

The CE heads from CB have some mean ports already and from what I have seen people bolt the manifolds up, throw a set of 48s on top and rock and roll.

BUT, that is not how WE roll. While I am not going to go to crazy, (yet) it would be a shame not to put some of my educational opportunity to work and make a little more speed.

Have not picked an exact venturi size yet, but I think they are going to be in the neighborhood of BIG!

Gonna be fun!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car   Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car Empty

Back to top Go down

Kay - '73 Ghia Race Car
Page 1 of 1