Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley

Go down 
+3
70Bugnorcal
Davids74Super
amishman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
amishman
State Route
amishman

Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley Empty
PostSubject: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Very awesome a VW group is now happening up here in the Grass Valley area. Been living in Grass Valley for about 15 years now and about 8 of that, been into old VWs as well as newer VWs. I have purchased and sold a number of VWs over this last 8 years, missing some very much, kicking myself I sold them, etc... But, today I am still a happy owner of 2 old and 1 new VW and a bitch'n 1970 Eriba Puck Camper.

What I miss from my old harem was my 1989 Syncro Westy. Oh why did I sell that? Maybe to pay bills. hehehe. I also miss my 1973 VW Thing but the Syncro more so. Today I own a 1967 Westfalia Camper and a 1960 Single Cab. The 67 has a tranny being rebuilt right now (professionally as this was beyond my time or knowledge) but I should have that back soon and plan on bringing it to the next group event. The 60 SC is in perpetual state of disrepair as I am a slow-ass when it comes to working on stuff so I might be senile by the time that gets back on the road. bounce

I also sport and use a 1970 Eriba Puck and very cool little VWish kind of camper to pull behind us when we camp. I also have a day driver 2001 TDI Beetle you may see going around in town.

I have a web site, been ages since I updated it, but gives you an idea about me. http://www.vwhippie.com

Married 20 years to Michelle, my better half. Only kids are the fuzzy kind, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and since we live in Grass Valley, all nature including bear at our doorstep.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Here is my current VW line-up. tj

1967 SO42 Westfalia Camper
Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley Web

1960 Single Cab

1970 Eriba Puck Camper

Me at BugORama Sac watching the drags and getting my normal Cherry Slushie at the snack shack.

Me and my wife Michelle so you can pick us out at any upcoming events. Just add less hair on my noggin and more grey all the way around. 8-)

Last edited by amishman on Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.vwhippie.com
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 5:51 pm

Welcome
Back to top Go down
70Bugnorcal
SacTown
70Bugnorcal

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 6:59 pm

Welcome Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 7:09 pm

Glad to have you on board! Looking forward to meeting you. You just missed our ice cream social last night.. went well and was a lot of fun. We will be doing much more!

So welcome and spread the word
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 7:14 pm

YES WELCOME WELCOME. YOU HAVE A VERY NICE LINE UP THERE. I KNOW IM NOT SPEAKING ALONE IN SAYING I DONT OWN A TYPE 2 YET.....BUT A LITTLE JEALOUS AFTER SEEING BOTH YOURS. HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON.
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
OldSkoolVWLover
SacTown
OldSkoolVWLover

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Loving the type 2's and the trailer...... also jealous of the TDI New Beetle. I keep wishing the wife and I had found a TDI when we got her Turbo (not complaining though, we love the turbo). Over time I have begun to love me some TDI goodness. I keep dreaming about swapping a TDI into my 00 Golf Vert, but now CA is doing that whole "smogging" diesels thing. Have you guys had to do that with the TDI yet? I know it's supposed to be pretty basic, but it doesn't make me happy (especially with all the diesel big rigs that have ran free in CA for decades).
Back to top Go down
http://www.EarlyWatercooled.org
amishman
State Route
amishman

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 8:16 pm

OldSkoolVWLover wrote:
Loving the type 2's and the trailer...... also jealous of the TDI New Beetle. I keep wishing the wife and I had found a TDI when we got her Turbo (not complaining though, we love the turbo). Over time I have begun to love me some TDI goodness. I keep dreaming about swapping a TDI into my 00 Golf Vert, but now CA is doing that whole "smogging" diesels thing. Have you guys had to do that with the TDI yet? I know it's supposed to be pretty basic, but it doesn't make me happy (especially with all the diesel big rigs that have ran free in CA for decades).

Have not had to do a diesel smog yet but soon I know. Sure hope it passes without issue!

Must say the TDI are sweet. Best we did was 55MPG on a long trip. Normally we get mid 40s around here. Great fuel mileage!

Just one more bill I have to pay. Twisted Evil

Thanks all on the comps on the rides. The Single Cab I feel sorry for. I started a break job a bazillion years ago and yanked the engine and ever since then it has been heartless without and engine and sitting so long the breaks are all shot. At least it is my learning rig I can play mechanic on in my spare time if I ever get any.

tj

tj
Back to top Go down
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 11:58 pm

Glad to have another bus person around in the group. Your SO42 looks clean!
Back to top Go down
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 11:59 pm

Double post?

Last edited by zuhaelter_82 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
amishman
State Route
amishman

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 2:54 pm

Picked up my 67 from Auburn yesterday after a transmission over-haul. Nice to have a bus that switches gears nicely. Horrified on the final price to get it all done but it needed to be done so I could use my bus. Of course I broke down about 2 miles away from the shop. This is really my 1st time driving this bus since purchase last year. I drove it around a tad but no much. Anyway, it was just running out of gas this time. Twisted Evil Finding out my fuel gauge that shows I had 1/3 tank was really bone dry. Coasted to Kragen, called the shop as I thought I was fine on gas and they came over to see. They were nice enough to get me to a station to get some fuel and all was well. Chugged home, happy now. So, now I have to, after a full tank of fuel is now loaded up, to see what kind of miles I should get per tank so I can better keep an eye on when I am getting low since my gauge is not perfect. Shows I am full now. hehehe. Hopefully it shows me well enough plus me keeping track of how many miles I go to fill up so I don't do this again. I guess I should have had them pull the tank and replace the fuel sender stuff but it all seemed fine so....

Anyway, live and learn.

So, now I have a bus to come to meetings with. Laughing

tj

Back to top Go down
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:06 pm

That thing is so clean... I am about to pull the trans out and have it built. If you don't mind me asking, what did the overhaul run?
Back to top Go down
amishman
State Route
amishman

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:28 pm

zuhaelter_82 wrote:
That thing is so clean... I am about to pull the trans out and have it built. If you don't mind me asking, what did the overhaul run?

For labor and parts, plus they replaced clutch items also and also replaced rear brake hoses and wheel cylinders at the same time, $2700 bit ones.

I was quoted the tranny rebuild and labor would be $1400 or so and then I found out they did these other things at the same time. They never really asked me but I was OK with it. I guess I must of gave them the impression to replace whatever along the way they felt was direct or indirect issue with my tranny. Things like bushings for shifter, tranny seals, tranny mounys, new fluids, and various other parts they did along the way. Anyway, it ended up being double what they quoted verbal.

Anyway, it needed to be done and I don't have the time to do it so it was done, I have it back, it has 1 year or 12K miles warranty, so I am good with it all.

Now, if you do all the labor yourself, I would say a transmission rebuild these days by the time you are done shipping it off and all that is $1000 or so.

tj
Back to top Go down
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:38 pm

amishman wrote:
zuhaelter_82 wrote:

They never really asked me but I was OK with it. I guess I must of gave them the impression to replace whatever along the way they felt was direct or indirect issue with my tranny. Things like bushings for shifter, tranny seals, tranny mounys, new fluids, and various other parts they did along the way. Anyway, it ended up being double what they quoted verbal.

I am going to pull everything myself and do most of the grunt work so I just need someone to go through it. The bold quotes disgust me! I would have told them they could kiss my ass and if they didn't have it in writing or call me when there was a change to the work order, they could eat it. What they did was illegal and I don't let that fly.
Back to top Go down
amishman
State Route
amishman

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:44 pm

zuhaelter_82 wrote:
amishman wrote:
zuhaelter_82 wrote:

They never really asked me but I was OK with it. I guess I must of gave them the impression to replace whatever along the way they felt was direct or indirect issue with my tranny. Things like bushings for shifter, tranny seals, tranny mounys, new fluids, and various other parts they did along the way. Anyway, it ended up being double what they quoted verbal.

I am going to pull everything myself and do most of the grunt work so I just need someone to go through it. The bold quotes disgust me! I would have told them they could kiss my ass and if they didn't have it in writing or call me when there was a change to the work order, they could eat it. What they did was illegal and I don't let that fly.

Since your doing all the dirty work, I would say rebuild and parts to do the job will be about $1K or so. From what I gather the local shop I went to had the tranny rebuilt in El Dorado Hills so lots of shipping $ did not come into the picture. I had a local quote here in GV also and they told me about $1800 for the whole job parts and labor. Another location in Sac quoted $2K. But that is with labor and all that.

But, I think you need to expect $1K or so with it done right for the rebuild.

Good luck with yours.

tj

*BTW, one day I will be pulling my own and sending a tranny off. My 1960SC was having issues with 2nd gear back in the day when it was still on the road so more than likely that one will need it. The SC is my learning bus so I plan on pulling that one when the times comes to learn it. With the 67, I just wanted it done and I have little time to break my chops on doing tranny stuff so paid to get it done so I can hop in and have fun.
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 4:03 pm

THAT IS VERY TRUE. VERBAL CONTRACTS HOLD ABSOLUTLY NO VALUE IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. IF A SHOP GAVE YOU A WRITTEN ESTAMATE OF $1400 THATS WHAT YOU PAY. WHATEVER THEY DECIDED TO DO ON THEIR OWN IS ALL ON THEM. IF THERE WAS NO WRITTEN ESTAMATE THATS AWESOME CUZ YOU JUST GOT A WHOLE LOT OF WORK DONE FOR FREE.

AS FAR AS THE WARRENTY IT SOUNDS LIKE AN AMMCO DEAL. IF IT IS DRIVE THE SHIT OUT OF IT AND GET IT FIX/REPLACED BEFORE THAT 12 MONTH 12000 MILES. AMMCO'S REAL GOOD AT BUILDING TRANS THAT LAST 12 MONTHS AND 7DAYS OR 12010 MILES. I SWEAR ITS AN ART THAT THEY PERFECTED. AT LEAST THATS THE SORRY IVE HEARD TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

AS FAR AS THE SMOG GOES IF YOUR VEHICLES ARE REGISTERED HERE IN THE NEVADA COUNTY, COME SEE ME WHEN YOU NEED A SMOG.
Back to top Go down
amishman
State Route
amishman

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 4:17 pm

Smogman72 wrote:
THAT IS VERY TRUE. VERBAL CONTRACTS HOLD ABSOLUTLY NO VALUE IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. IF A SHOP GAVE YOU A WRITTEN ESTAMATE OF $1400 THATS WHAT YOU PAY. WHATEVER THEY DECIDED TO DO ON THEIR OWN IS ALL ON THEM. IF THERE WAS NO WRITTEN ESTAMATE THATS AWESOME CUZ YOU JUST GOT A WHOLE LOT OF WORK DONE FOR FREE.

AS FAR AS THE WARRENTY IT SOUNDS LIKE AN AMMCO DEAL. IF IT IS DRIVE THE SHIT OUT OF IT AND GET IT FIX/REPLACED BEFORE THAT 12 MONTH 12000 MILES. AMMCO'S REAL GOOD AT BUILDING TRANS THAT LAST 12 MONTHS AND 7DAYS OR 12010 MILES. I SWEAR ITS AN ART THAT THEY PERFECTED. AT LEAST THATS THE SORRY IVE HEARD TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

AS FAR AS THE SMOG GOES IF YOUR VEHICLES ARE REGISTERED HERE IN THE NEVADA COUNTY, COME SEE ME WHEN YOU NEED A SMOG.

The shop I went to is very highly respected for VW work; at least from what I researched. Worked for VW dealership starting back in 1964 and has been in business in Auburn as long as anyone can remember. From what I hear, they are well respected in the machine shop world for VWs. Ray the owner seems to be a pretty decent guy as well as his wife. They were nice to me. They seemed to do real nice work and Ray really seems to know his VWs. I guess my only gripes (and I did not bitch about them as I am fairly easy guy to deal with) is that it took much longer to get the job done and the price was double. I would say the double price is what threw me off more than the timing thing. It was delivered to them late June and I picked it up yesterday so a good month to get it back. As mentioned, verbally I was quoted $1400. They took a $700 deposit at delivery and I would have figured if price would vary greatly from the $1400 total they would have let me know. Unfortunately they did not. Now maybe he meant the tranny part was $1400 total and anything more would be more $$ but that was never written or communicated to me. All I had was the initial work order where I was quoted $1400 and paid $700. In my head I expected it to be higher but not double. I guess they should have told me that the clutch items all were toast and needed replacing, etc.... I had told them little items like tranny mounts and bushings, while in there, just do them, but more expensive stuff like clutch items they should have alerted me to. I would still do them but at least I would know. Maybe they considered clutch items little stuff. Don't know. I am fine with the brake stuff as that is important but still, the whole experience would be better if they called me and said hey, this and that is needing replace and am I OK on all the prices so I could be ready. Over-all, I am happy so far, just more drained from the wallet than expected.

Anyway, it is done and I have a nice driving bus at the moment. I expect his work was super well done and time will tell. In time if something does happen, and under warranty, then hopefully all goes smooth during that time. I don't expect anything to go wrong but one never knows.

Here is where I went by the way. http://valleros.com/

Anyone hear ever use them before?

tj
Back to top Go down
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 4:24 pm

All that matters is that you get to drive your bus Cool You can't put a price on that...
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 7:51 pm

IT IS A VERY GOOD THING YOU NOW HAVE A RUNNING DRIVABLE VEHICLE. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU DID SOME RESEARCH. THAT IS GOOD. IM SORRY IT COST YOU SO MUCH, BUT VERY GLAD YOUR ON THE ROAD AGAIN.

NOW, I DONT WANT TO BAD MOUTH ANYONE. NOT TRYING TO DOWNGRADE ANYONE EITHER. JUST THROWING THIS INFO OUT THERE FOR YOU IN THE FUTURE AND ANYONE ELSE THAT MAY NEED IT.

AS A BUSINESS OWNER MYSELF ID SAY THEY ARENT DOING BUSINESS ABIDING BY CALIFORNIA STATE LAWS TO BE A LICENSED AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR FACILITY.

CA STATE LAW SAYS A LICENSED AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR FACILITY CAN NOT EVEN TOUCH YOUR VEHICLE PRIOR TO HAVING A SIGNED ESTIMATE WITH ALL SERVICES, LABOR, PARTS, ETC LISTED, APPROVED AND SIGNED BY THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYING FOR SAID WORK TO BE DONE.
THE SERVICES, PARTS, ETC AND PRICE QUOTED ON YOUR WRITTEN ESTIMATE IS WHAT YOU PAY FOR PER STATE LAW. ANYTHING DONE WITHOUT PRIOR APPROVAL YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR.

NOW IF YOU AGREE TO PAY FOR IT AFTER THE FACT, THEN.....THERES NOTHING YOU CAN DO.

THE BAR (BUREAU OF AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR) IS VERY ADIMENT ABOUT PRIOR APPROVAL ON ANY AND ALL SERVICES, PARTS, LABOR, ETC THAT EXCEEDS THAT LISTED ON YOUR ORIGINAL ESTIMATE. APPROVAL, CAN BE MADE OVER THE PHONE BUT ONLY WITH DOCUMENTATION OF THE DAY, TIME, PHONE NUMBER CALLED/RECIEVED AND THE PERSON THAT WAS SPOKEN TO, TO GIVE THE APPROVAL FOR ANY ADDITIONS.

ALL IT TAKE IS ONE PERSON THAT GETS AN ESTIMATE FOR.....SAY A BRAKE JOB (I.E. PADS $20, ROTORS $100, REPACK WHEEL BEARINGS $20, 1 HR LABOR AT SAY $98 TOTALING $238) TO COME GET THEIR VEHICLE AND GET A BILL THAT INCLUDES A BRAKE FLUID WAS CHANGED $50, CALIPERS REPLACE $150, WITH AN ADDED HR OF LABOR MAKING THE TOTAL $536 TO CALL THE BAR REPORT IT AND THEY HAVE ALL THAT WORK DONE FOR FREE AND THE SHOP....OUT OF BUSINESS. AN EXTREME....YES, BUT IT HAPPENS. THE BAR CLOSES SHOPS DOWN ALL THE TIME FOR LESS.

I AM NOT ENCOURAGING THIS IN THE LEAST BUT, THOSE PEOPLE ARE OUT THERE. THAT IS WHY IT IS SO HARD TO STAY IN BUSINESS NOW DAYS. EVERYONE IS SO SUE HAPPY.

THE REPAIR SHOP NEXT DOOR TO ME WENT THROUGH SOMETHING SIMILAR ABOUT 9YRS AGO. A CUSTOMER REQUESTED SOME WORK TO BE DONE. THE SHOP OWNER KNEW HIM THREW OTHER PEOPLE AND KNEW HE WAS KINDA A SCAM ARTIST. THE WORK WAS ESTIMATED WITH THE AGREEMENT OF CASH PAYMENT (NOT CHECK, CARD, ETC). WHEN THE CUSTOMER CAME TO GET HIS CAR HE BROUGHT A CHECK. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT RELEASED TO HIM. THE CUSTOMER THEN REPORTED THE ISSUE TO THE BAR AND LAW ENFORCEMENT. HE CAME BACK A DAY OR TWO LATER WITH A SHERIFF AND A BAR REP. THE ORIGINAL ESTIMATE WAS PRESENTED TO BOTH THE BAR REP. AND OFFICER. THEY LOOKED IT OVER, AND ASKED THE CUSTOMER IF THAT WAS HIS SIGNITURE AGREEING TO SAID WORK BEING DONE FOR CASH PAYMENT. OF COARSE IT WAS AND THEY TOLD HIM TO GO GET CASH AND HE CAN HAVE HIS CAR. THE SHOP COVERED THERE BUTT. IF THEY ACCEPTED THE CHECK AND IT BOUNCE THEN WHAT....A $20 BOUNCE CHECK FEE IS ADDED TO WHAT ALREADY HASNT BEEN PAID FOR AND THE CUSTOMER IS DRIVING AROUND IN A REPAIRED CAR FOR FREE. UNLESS THE SHOP WANTED TO GO TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT COSTING MORE THAN WHAT WAS OWED.

SO AS A CUSTOMER YOU NEED TO WATCHOUT FOR YOURSELF JUST AS MUCH AS A "RECOMMENDED" SHOP IS LOOKING OUT FOR THEMSELF.

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS ABOUT THE LAWS REGUARDING AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR FACILITIES ID BE HAPPY TO LOOK UP INFORMATION AND HELP YOU OUT WITH.
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 7:57 pm

AGAIN...GLAD YOUR BACK ON THE ROAD. CANT WAIT TO SEE THE BUS IN PERSON. PICS LOOK GREAT BUT THEY NEVER DO THE JUSTICE OF SEEING THEM IN PERSON. HOPE TO MEET YOU AT THE NEXT MEET IF NOT SOONER Smile
Back to top Go down
amishman
State Route
amishman

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 8:03 pm

Smogman72 wrote:
AGAIN...GLAD YOUR BACK ON THE ROAD. CANT WAIT TO SEE THE BUS IN PERSON. PICS LOOK GREAT BUT THEY NEVER DO THE JUSTICE OF SEEING THEM IN PERSON. HOPE TO MEET YOU AT THE NEXT MEET IF NOT SOONER Smile
Now to work on inside. Outside is decent. Has some bondo cracks on rear passenger side that PO did not repair well but not too bad. Inside needs to TLC. Have to restore it all really but usable for now.

tj
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 8:06 pm

AWESOME!!! LIKE I SAID CANT WAIT TO MEET YOU AND SEE IT Very Happy
Back to top Go down
amishman
State Route
amishman

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 11:00 am

Smogman72 wrote:
AWESOME!!! LIKE I SAID CANT WAIT TO MEET YOU AND SEE IT Very Happy

And by the way, I have met you. I had my Nissan Xterra smogged by you recently. I live in Alta Sierra area myself. 8-)

We briefly spoke about VW as I saw some VW parts in your shop. cyclops

tj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley   Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi from Amishman in Grass Valley
Page 1 of 1