Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Interference Engine Carnage

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheAmazingDave

Interference Engine Carnage Empty
PostSubject: Interference Engine Carnage   Interference Engine Carnage EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 1:01 pm

A few months ago, a client blew a timing belt in their 1.6l Daewoo Lanos. The DOHC engine in the Lanos is an INTERFERENCE engine. This design choice makes no sense to me since it is not a high-compression engine. I digress...

So what happens when an interference 16 valve dual overhead cam engine blows a belt while running? Sixteen bent valves, that's what.

Houston, we have a problem:
Interference Engine Carnage PIC_0146

Interference Engine Carnage PIC_0145

Interference Engine Carnage PIC_0144

Interference Engine Carnage PIC_0147

That doesn't look right...
Interference Engine Carnage PIC_0153

Interference Engine Carnage PIC_0152

Interference Engine Carnage PIC_0151

Interference Engine Carnage PIC_0150

CrUnCH
Back to top Go down
west coast ghia
SacTown
west coast ghia

PostSubject: Re: Interference Engine Carnage   Interference Engine Carnage EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 1:47 pm

Daewoo = only last one day wooo
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/lonnyatforyourride
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Interference Engine Carnage   Interference Engine Carnage EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 3:10 pm

What a POS!
Back to top Go down
TheAmazingDave

PostSubject: Re: Interference Engine Carnage   Interference Engine Carnage EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 4:47 pm

Yea, the car's a pile...

He bought a remanufactured head for $600 or so and I put it in with new gaskets. I was worried since I was instructed by the owner to re-use the torqe-to-yield head bolts (A VERY BAD IDEA), but it went back together without issues and ran great after a sticky lifter finally pumped up after a few miles.

The cost to fix the original head well exceeded the value of the car, and would have cost about twice what he paid for the whole car. Shocked
Back to top Go down
LuvnVdubn

LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: Re: Interference Engine Carnage   Interference Engine Carnage EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 5:37 pm

its only a matter of time before that head gasket starts to leak! Reusing those torque to yields!!!!!!! what an idiot! they are going to back themselves out lil by lil! what did that save him 15-20 bucks? if even that much! If you are ever forced to reuse torque to yields I learned you should put a little bitty dab of locktite at the top of the threads as close to the bolt head as possible. In fact if you do ever do that, put your drop of locktite on the bolt, lay it on your work bench and let it sit for a few minutes that way the locktite dries a bit and doesnt want to run down the threads. It will help stop them from backing their way out. Either way, it's a frickin daewoo!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
TheAmazingDave

PostSubject: Re: Interference Engine Carnage   Interference Engine Carnage EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 5:41 pm

The OEM bolt kit for this engne was actually $104 or so after tax, but due to time constraints, we didn't wait for them to come in.

I wouldn't have re-used them in my car. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interference Engine Carnage   Interference Engine Carnage Empty

Back to top Go down

Interference Engine Carnage
Page 1 of 1