Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Running a new gas line

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
type 4
State Route
type 4

Running a new gas line Empty
PostSubject: Running a new gas line   Running a new gas line EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 10:50 am

I was at Autozone the other day buying something. My bill was a little short for the rewards so I said hey how a bout some steel brake line to make the $20.00. The guy took me to the back of the store. BINGO.. I got two 12 foot lengths of 5/16 steel tubing for not a whole lot of money.

My reasoning for the upgrade was. Lowla came with a 1200cc engine and a 1/4 gas line. We were building a 1915. 1200 engine gets what 30 plus miles to the gallon. Our 1915 around 10. So I knew we had to get more flow, upgrade time.

I wanted to keep the 1/4 line for a return incase we ever fuel inject the beast.
I wanted less rubber hose
I wanted faster engine pull

So I pulled the gas tank, the engine was out, and the car did not have any carpet. We (me and my son) ran a one piece gas line next to the master cylinder and on top of the brake line through the cabin following the package tray(under the car) into the engine compartment.

The only tools needed is a hand bender like the old Chinese finger toy. The spring like bender. And another person.

No beer you have to plan bends and lengths. A little thinking is involved.

Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Running a new gas line   Running a new gas line EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 9:53 pm

Sweet!

Hard fuel lines are cool!

After I get passed 'phase 1' of my rebuild, I was looking at adding an electric fuel pump to my dual carb setup. At that time I was going to use hard fuel lines around the shroud and plumbed directly into the carbs.

I have seen them where they end up with just a few inches of braided 'flexible' fuel line between the hard line from the engine and the chassis.

So now I know there is someone in he area with skills and that just might work for beer, after all the bending is done of course. Very Happy

I am with you too, I want an injected 1915 with a turbo when I grow up.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Electric fuel pump    Running a new gas line EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 10:25 am

Place the fuel pump under the gas tank you want to push gas. We ended the fuel line on the back firewall. The fuel pressure regulator is in the engine compartment.

My 1915 scares me with out a turbo. If I had to do it over I would turbo a 1600 cheaper to build better gas millage. I have only run 1 tank of gas on the 1915 and we drove around 100 miles. I am just about ready to put it back in.

David
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Running a new gas line   Running a new gas line EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 10:34 am

my long term plan.. or goal. Is a healthy 1776 with a turbo. Everything counter weighted and balanced for smooth accel and idle.. use just a tad larger valve.. not to big. You can still get 25 mpg on the freeway, but plenty of power when you need it.. then the turbo for straight fun!

And type 4 is right.. put the fuel pump up front.. don't cheep out here either. Those cheaper fuel pumps make a lot of noise. A good one will run quite and last.
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Balanced Engine   Running a new gas line EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 10:44 am

Right now I am the proud owner of two balanced motors. Let me tell you what a difference. The 1915 is so smooth. It has a circle crank along with balancing it will idle with a set of IDF's. The biggest problem with my gas millage is my right foot.

I have a 2.4 Ltr turbo injected motor in/for my 914. Right now it is running carbs again so smooth. Now if I can only find a place to put the turbo.

When you balance the motor it seems to work in harmony. And happiness is HP
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Running a new gas line   Running a new gas line EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 12:03 pm

circle cranks are the way to go... very nice. Yeah, that good old right foot. LOL.

I think the 914 is one I will be saving up for. That is my all time favorite car. But I will get the original emblems for the back before the usa porcshe dealerships got them. When they where shipped over, the back back said .. "Volkswagen.........Porsche". I love that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Running a new gas line   Running a new gas line Empty

Back to top Go down

Running a new gas line
Page 1 of 1