Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Clutch Noise

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

Clutch Noise Empty
PostSubject: Clutch Noise   Clutch Noise EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 8:59 pm

So the good news, she runs and sounds really good.

And so far not a lot of oil leakage.

A little bit around the pully it loooks like, but I was told it will probably leak around the pully 'a bit' with the 1.4 ratio rockers I am running and I should eventually vent the valve covers and run a sand seal pulley.

Anyways, I am good with that, but now the bad news. After I finished waking up the neighbors last night with my 10:30pm test run up and down the driveway I heard a 'warble' type noice when I pressed down on the clutch.

I figured I would try it again tonight before posting anything but I had a free moment so I thought I would throw it up here.

I think it could be (probably) the throw out bearing, as the noise definately has a rotational sound to it and it only makes this noise when the clutch is depressed.

My problem is I figured this was a pretty easy part and I am not sure how I could have screwed it up. But if there is a way to, I would do it.

So is there any known 'gotchas' out there with replacing the throw out bearing? Anything obvious I might have over looked?

I'll give her another run later tonight and post if I find out anything else, but I was just getting anxious and wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Hope to make it Sunday if I can figure this thing out.
Back to top Go down

Clutch Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise   Clutch Noise EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Sadly, your only choice is to pull the motor back out and figure out the problem. Could be a lot of simple things, but none of them will "wear in" or go away. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

Clutch Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise   Clutch Noise EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 11:18 pm

If the clutch works fine and the car goes, it may just be the sound of the clutch. I have two cars that both drove me nuts with this. Come to find out, they just like making noise. The sound hasn't affected the performance in the 2-3 years it has been doing it. These are stage II + clutches though.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

Clutch Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise   Clutch Noise EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 12:13 am

Well this is not a stock clutch, but it isn't a full on race clutch either. I asked the fellows down in Sac for a 'hot street' setup as I like a little stiffer clutch than normal and I like the looks I get from the teenagers and those shopping carts they drive in my rear view mirror. It's a mid-life crisis thing, I freely admit to it.

I just got home, (no oil on the garage floor, YEA!) and started her up. I didn't drive anywhere but I worked the clutch and moved back and forth a bit and no noise, so I dunno.

I have to finish re-wiring the back lights tomorrow and will take a few hot laps up and down the driveway and see where we stand.

Thanks for the input. It has been a big help having people to bounce this stuff off of.

Maybe if she makes it around the neigborhood a few times I'll chance driving her to Mel's and get some of your professional opinions in person.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

Clutch Noise Empty
PostSubject: Clutch   Clutch Noise EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 2:08 pm

I wasted a clutch less than 5 miles. The snap ring was bad in the throw out arm. The arm would move and the throw out bearing and pressure plate are now toast. It was an out of round sound I have has a steady noise and from a throwout bearing and it lasted. Are you using the right pressure plate for your transmission?

David
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

Clutch Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise   Clutch Noise EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 8:16 pm

So I pulled the motor again Saturday and didn't find anything terribly wrong other that I had the clips backwards on the throw out bearing. I don't know how that would make a difference but I am no expert. I put the clips on correctly and then put everything back together.

I ran her up the driveway a few times and no clutch noise. So that's the good news.

One of the issues I have is that we live off of 49 in North Auburn. So other than a little cruise up and down the driveway for me to do a test drive it's all or nothing getting on 49 it seems any time of the day. A little never racking punching it on a rebuild to get out on the road.

So she hit 49 screaming and I was excited and then she started to pop on the right carb.

Since it is at high RPM and under load I am hoping it is either the timing since I haven't checked it since the re-build because a friend had borrowed my timing light, or I found a clamp missing on the balance tube between the carbs.

Going to check these I hope tonight and see where we are...
Back to top Go down
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

Clutch Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise   Clutch Noise EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 10:48 pm

If you have points, check those as well. My 70 DragBug was popping out of the right carb, and it was the points causing the issues, replaced them, worked fine.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

Clutch Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise   Clutch Noise EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 11:58 pm

No points. But thanks for the tip!

I went out and put a clamp on the balance tube, and then checked the timing. She was a little off, about 24 degrees. I bumped her up to around 30 at 3000 RPM. I really miss the vacuum advance. That's on the list for future things.

No more pops! I drove up 49 about 10 miles and then back without an issue.

I need to get my tail lights figured out. The bulbs are intermittent. I am not sure if it is the holder. I think the contacts probably need a bit of sanding.

She goes pretty good now. No problems keeping up with traffic. Probably a speedometer that works and some attention to brakes are also in order. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

Clutch Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise   Clutch Noise EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 12:22 am

Good to hear!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Clutch Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise   Clutch Noise Empty

Back to top Go down