Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th

Go down 
+7
Mateo
nick_701
60herbie53
type 4
SurfinSuzie
Smogman72
Bradford
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 6:49 pm

The carb rebuild is pretty easy. Worth doing. Be sure to blow out all the little tiny ports when it's disassembled.

Still dying?

Be sure to go through the entire tune up procedure. Plugs in VWS only have about a 9,000 mile service life. They may look OK, but the internal resistors burn, and that can cause poor spark/poor idle.

The ever-changing point gap causes the engine tuning to change slightly, too. The best $50 you can spend on your 12 volt bug is one of those Compu-fire (also Pertronix, other brand names) electronic replacements. You put it in, set the timing again, I had to advance mine a couple degrees, then you NEVER WORRY ABOUT IT AGAIN.

These things greatly improve performance and fuel mileage. Indeed, I have that hesitation prone PICT 34 carb / .009 distributor combination, and the hesitation is gone. G - O - N - E , gone.

The carb rebuild is pretty easy. Worth doing. Be sure to blow out all the little tiny ports when it's disassembled.

Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 9:48 pm

If I get some time Andy maybe I can come over and look at it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:23 pm

It could be as simple as not having the 34pict tuned right. They are finicky to dial in, but worth it when you get it right.
I'm running the 009/ 34pict combo also. I did what this guy recommended, and it runs great! http://www.aircooledtech.com/34pict3_modification/

This is a good article on fine tuning a 34. (Step #5) http://www.vw-resource.com/tune-up.html#idle
Back to top Go down
Andy
State Route
Andy

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 11:39 pm

I'm still running the factory vacuum advance distributer, but pretty much all the ignition stuff is all new. I think it is just carb issues. Looks like Saturday may be a crappy wet day, so this might have to wait until later, or maybe I can barrow my neighbors tow bar and not have to drive it in the rain.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 11:47 pm

When it dries up (hopefully soon!) try tuning the carb according to this guys directions. If it still doesn't behave, you might have to put a kit in it.
http://www.vw-resource.com/tune-up.html#idle
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 12:19 am

We'll get it figured out Andy. We have plenty of time according to the latest weather.
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 11:04 pm

Well.. looks like Bitch nature.. ... I mean mother nature has decided to piss on us yet again for tech day.

I would say let's hold off on the door panels... really not the best project for rain. Keep er goodies and we will do it again next month.

As far as the tech day.. unless Cliff say's different.. we should still be having it.. I will be attempting to put on drop spindles!
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: rain rain go away   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 11:08 pm

looks a like Honda day
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 12:59 am

Megasquirt...
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: megasquirt   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 12:11 pm

Its so easy to get megasquirt on the brain. Time to start thinking about a single throttle body or idf throttle bodies.

bounce bounce cheers cheers bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce cheers
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 12:29 pm

WE ARE STILL A GO FOR ALL OF THOSE WHO WANT TO COME BY.

I GREW UP IN WASHINGTON SO RAIN DOESNT SPOIL MY PLANS Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Good deal. I need to glue up some wood for a new bow I am building first thing in the morning, but will be there around 10 or 11.

Also.. everyone.. we need to get Pete back on the road.. he is thinking of bring engine and bug up so we can give him a hand. The bottom end of the motor is back together, we just need to help him get the rest together and back in the car. He does need the 10mm stud head bolts.. does not have any. Old engine had the 8mm studs. So I will search my scraps and see what I got.. you do the same.

Hope a few of you still make it out if ya can. It is always nice to hang out with the VW crew!
Back to top Go down
Bahabuggin
SacTown
Bahabuggin

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Dam it ! Just found out I have to work. Will still try to get up there.
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 7:04 pm

NOW THAT ITS SNOWING..............................................................OH YEAH ILL BE HERE. I LOVE DRIVING MY VWS IN THE SNOW. ALWAYS HAVE.

AND AS LONG AS WE ARE WORKING WE SHOULD STAY FAIRLY WARM IF ITS STILL HERE TOMORROW. I WILL KEEP THE LITTLE HEATER IN THE SHOP ON TO TRY TO KEEP THE SHOP SIMI WARM. I WILL ALSO TRY TO REMEMBER TO BRING SOME KEROSENE FOR THE JET ENGINE Twisted Evil

HOPE TO SEE MOST OF YOU TOMORROW. IF NOT SPRING HITS SUNDAY Cool Question scratch WELL ITS SUPPOSE TO BE AT LEAST.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 7:53 pm

Okay, so the weather sucks once again. I am really ready for this to be over.
Back to top Go down
SurfinSuzie
State Route
SurfinSuzie

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 8:01 pm

This is why Im glad that my VW has its heater. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Spencer   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 8:03 pm

Spencer both air cooled are not able to produce heat. So stop rubbing it in
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 10:10 pm

Gosh Darn white SHIT! I am DONE! time to go to Arizona baby... I have had it.. they were 85 today.. hell, Colorado was 75.

If it is not snowing, I will still be going to do the spindle thing.. if at least drivable weather I will at least swing by.. but we will see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks for the text Cliff... I was already on 49.. that was fun....NOT (damn flat landers that move up the hill)
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: what   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Its going to rain the next 5 day and maybe longer. Looks like I may get to start on my taxes.

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 12:22 pm

GATES OPEN IM HERE AND READY TO GO!!!!

ROADS ARE TOTALY CLEAR. COME ON OUT AND JOIN ME HERE AT THE SHOP GUYS. THINK OF IT AS HAVING AN INNERCOOLER FOR YOUR RIDES. NICE COLD CHARGE OF AIR GOIN DOWN ITS THROAT. MORE POWER Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 12:35 pm

Did you ever get that jet engine of a heater to work?

I think I have a can of Kerosene down in the garage...
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 12:36 pm

IF U DO GO AHEAD AND BRING IT. I FORGOT TO GRAB SOME.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: not good   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 3:02 pm

I am going to start on my taxes. I have to find some money to buy a megasquirt
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 5:05 pm

WELL....................HAD 6 CARS SHOW UP AND ANDY IN HIS TRUCK. NOT A BAD TURN OUT FOR THE WEATHER WE ARE HAVING.

BRAD GOT HERE WE WERE READY TO INSTALL SOME SPINDLES BUT HE DIDNT BRING THEM..........ITS TO COLD Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes WHATEVER lol!

MAYBE NEXT TIME THEN.

JOHN CALLED ABOUT 11:30 AND SAID HED BE UP IN LIKE AN HOUR OR SO BUT HERE IT IS 2PM AND HAVENT SEEN HIM. EVERYONE ELSE HAS GOT TO COLD AND HAS TAKIN OFF. SO........... 2:30 IF I DONT SEE OR HEAR ANYTHING NEW.......IM GOING TO HEAD HOME MYSELF.

LETS PLAN ON HAVE OUR UPHOSTERY WORK ON OUR NEXT TECH/MEET DAY APRIL 16.

HEY BRAD IF YOU U WANNA COME BY THE SHOP A SATURDAY BETWEEN NOW AND THEN (THE 16TH) WE CAN HAVE A STRICKLY TECH DAY. DO YOUR SPINDLES, AND ANYOTHER THING ANYONE MAY NEED TO GET DONE TO GET READY FOR THE RANCH RUN APRIL 8-10.

THAT WOULD PUT INTO PLAY MAR. 26 (NEXT WEEKEND), APRIL 2. OR I COULD STAY LATE ONE NIGHT SO WE CAN DO THE INSTALL LET ME KNOW. WE CAN POST IT UP AS AN INPROMPTO TECH DAY IF ANYONE ELSE WOULD LIKE TO COME BY AND HELP, WATCH, HANG OUT, WHATEVER.
Back to top Go down
Bahabuggin
SacTown
Bahabuggin

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 11:41 pm

I was headed up there but the bug started acting up and I didn't want to get stuck in this weather. So I turned around and went home.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th   SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

SRV - TECH Day / Meeting - March 19th
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3