Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
type 4
State Route
type 4

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug Empty
PostSubject: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 5:00 pm

I know it will fit its just a little taller than the fan shroud. Its a tall setup. Thanks

Lets take this project and say start over. It looks like almost everything on my motor is wrong. Alternator gone, oil filter gone, bottom tin gone, fancy electric boost gauge gone.

The car 1963 VW Rag top, removable rear apron and it looks like no other option on that. It looks like it will go in altogether, maybe.

Motor we are going to basically start from scratch. The deep sump looks like it can stay. Oil filter will have to changed to a remote oil filter and cooler. I may have all the stuff for that? The Alternator looks like it will fry from the heat of the turbo. I have two generators one did work and stopped and I don't remember about the other. I don't see anyway we can run a rear deck lid. It looks like we will have to take off the left deck lid mount. I want a rear deck lid

To start mounting the turbo set up you have to be down to almost a bare block. Cylinder tin is alright but not with an alternator stand. So its end cap, plenum, end cap. Changing stand, fan shroud, turbo exhaust, mount turbo. I could use a different fan shroud without heat things on it. (hint) You cannot run heat and they just get in the way. After lunch I am going to tackle buttoning up the exhaust I picked up a set of j tubes Sunday to hack up.

I am sorry the lighting in my garage is not to good I will wheel the motor out this weekend and take better pic. Until than this is what I have.

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug 3-2-1110

This is the plenum the gauge on the end it an electric boost sender. Oh it hits the fan shroud cheers

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug 3-3-1110

If you look carefully you can see where the oil filter should go, I have two different styles of Honda filter but in the long run running a remote filter and oil cooler is what is needed. And since I am starting to show the begging stages of Alzheimer I had to mark my pulley. No just kidding but sometimes I feel that way.

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug 3-3-1112

My new Alternator, life expectancy 10 minutes

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug 3-3-1113

And now for the money shot.

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug 3-3-1114

So if you have a dog house fan shroud I still have a little money left. scratch

Last edited by type 4 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 5:56 pm

YOULL HAVE TO DO SOME CHECKING BUT scratch IM THINKING THAT THE AIR/FUEL GOING INTO THE TURBO IS NOT RIGHT. IM THINKING THAT THE VACUUM WILL SUCK EXTRA FUEL MAKING IT NOT ADJUSTABLE Question . ALSO IF THE FUEL MIXES WITH THE OIL LUBRICATING THE BEARINGS IN THE TURBO YOULL BE CHANGING OIL AFTER EVERY TRIP YOU MAKE Shocked . JUST MY 2 CENTS Suspect . I COULD BE WRONG. LETS HOPE Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: well   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 6:36 pm

The size is correct for the motor. This is a tried and true carburetor for this kind of system. I will give you the low dawn on Turbo systems.

first choice fuel injected with timing manipulation capability. This is number 1 hands down

Carb blow through. Pretty good

Draw through. It will work

So now I have a header exhaust
A turbo
And all I have to do it take off the Carburetor and replace it with a Air cleaner. Change plenum to Single IDF dual IDF my funky Weber can be modified. What I am tiring to say is changing from a draw through to a blow through is an afternoon.

But all in all it should not to big of a nightmare. This is a play toy I cannot afford the gas to make it a daily driver. With out the turbo just carbs we got around 100 miles to a tank boy it was fun but the fuel filter let us down got a miss and pulled the motor.

Not back to the custom J tubes
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 10:15 pm

I have a brand new doghouse shroud from BugPack.

I painted it gray and was going to use it when I was having all those issues with my engine tin fitting.

Turns out there was more work to get the coil to mount, clear the Kadron linkage, etc. than just using the stock shroud and triming the front bell housing tin.

I ended up keeping my stock shroud.

You are welcome to it, if interested...

Oh, and it does not have heat, which is what I think you are looking for.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: still gathering parts   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 11:28 pm

I am still gathering parts for the install. The J tubes are made. In my box of oil cooler, adapters, and what nots I came across a screw on adapter for relocating you oil filter. It put my hoses in a much more desirable location. I worked on oil supply lines. I need to convert to a generator, and steel Don's fan shroud. (He will be a member soon.) And hack off the heater things.

I may need to borrow the down pipe from the Porsche, and the Air/Fuel gauge

So does anyone need anything from Summit. I should have an order ready the first of the week.

Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Dave, if your getting stuff from summit I could easily stop and get it for you as I go through Reno all the time. It will save you the shipping.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: paint   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 11:39 pm

Have you tried there paint? We are going to us the Summit brand on the Willys. Its a good price with lots of color options.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 2:59 pm

I have not tried their paint. Is it automotive grade paint or just rattlecan?
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: real   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 4:03 pm

Real deal, single and two stage. I guess we may be the first

David
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: news   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 7:53 pm

Good day in the garage. Generator is the way to go gained about an inch of clearance. I am going to do one more modification and take the back shroud off and rotate and mount the generator 180. I looks like I can have the wires safely on the bottom. I am using an alternator stand and it looks like you have enough room.

Where to mount the oil cooler and the oil filter housing.

Don is bringing me an old type 4 exhaust with the proper flange so we can fab a down pipe. Oh I mean a horizontal pipe. It will be long enough for an o2 sensor and to get through the deck lid cheers

What is left, Oil issues to and from Turbo, Cooler and filter loop. and engine monitor junk. I am not cutting the dash. I have an idea you guys will love for the gauges. Transmission stabilization, traction bars, mounts. Throttle cable I have an idea for that.

Getting excited

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 8:19 pm

Cool. You're on your way now. I am anxious to see the results.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Cliff   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 12:31 pm

Cliff

I was thinking about what you said earlier. I believe it will be pretty hard for the gas to contaminate the oil. The oil pressure will always be greater than the boost pressure. Total boost pressure of say 7 lbs and the oil pressure will be say 40 something or higher. At idle zero boost much lower oil pressure but still pressure. See what I am thinking.

Now will it be hard to start I would think so. This is the original way of applying a turbocharger. I am not saying its the best but go to lowbugget this is what he sells.

I am just a couple of oil lines away from starting, but miles away from driving.

We will all learn from this. Eric has a blow through. I have a injected and now draw through. I looks to me like we have most of the bases covered.

Now where did I put that duck tape and bailing wire. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 8:29 pm

You're right about the pressures Dave. I don"t think you'll have any problem there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 10:53 pm

I had a turbo seal go bad on the Trug. At idle, it was pumping oil into the intake, and under boost, it would pressurize the case through the return line.
It kept popping valve cover gaskets, and the dipstick would be partway out after a freeway run. Currently no turbo on the car till I find another one...
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 12:23 am

Sounds like a lot of boost.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 12:48 am

8lbs was all it took.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: it in the car   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 7:49 pm

The motor is in. Running a deck lid and rear is not a clean option. So time to let it all hang out.

Oil cooler options

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug 3-6-1115

Rear View

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug 3-6-1112

side

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug 3-6-1113

another side

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug 3-6-1114

New rear stance

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug 3-6-1111

More work to be done. Cross you fingers..

Traction bar and oil stuff and gauges so close.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 8:35 pm

Looking good.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Got a little more done   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 11:31 pm

After getting the motor in and it became apparent that I am lacking a vacuum source. No port on the carburetor but I did remember a screw in the 3/4 intake manifold. Garbed a shorty screwdriver and got lucky. Sort of. Nice course threads oh what to do not like it in brass. Hey that look like a 1/4 bolt the one you use a 7/16 wrench on. Sure enough, luck again. Twice in one night.

Pic Time

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug 3-7-1110

The plug Mad Mad Mad

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug 3-7-1111

The fix, cut the head off after drilling

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug 3-7-1112

And the vacuum distributor block. Big hose to waste gate and the other to a boost gauge

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug 3-7-1113

I am done for tonight. I may try a bus throttle cable. C1pi is nice enough to show dimensions. I think I want to do a braided one.

Oh getting close

Sleep well. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 12:42 am

I used this setup on my 40 IDF Weber. It works really nice!
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=534
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 12:55 am

Good idea for the vacuum problem. You're on your way.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: going slow   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Slow and steady. Oil feed to Turbo ran
Oil return Done
Fuel Ran
Distributor cap mounted and wires ran away from the heat

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug 3-8-1111

Coil mounted, I am running out of real estate

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug 3-8-1110

I may just go with an oil filter

What is left

oil filter, accelerator cable, Down pipe the one I was going to use is Stainless time for something else, Voltage regulator, Gauges where to mount the gauges.

Than drivetrain upgrade.

Got to go
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 12:22 am

Keep up the good work. It looks as if it is going together nicely.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Its its    Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 8:37 pm

Its alive Ran it three times today and lost a total of 4-5 gallons of oil. I am going to put a cover on the oil pump and call it a day. We pulled off three hoses due to pressure, changed oil filters and even by passed the oil filter and still to much pressure. I am sure now it is the diverter the relocation adapter thing. The lines are run the correct way.

It sounds like the pits at Bug o rama hell yes we are running a straight down tube, well it almost horizontal. I dont want any rain to get in the turbo. It looks sweet and sounds great. I will get a pic of the down pipe. I think its three inches of polished stainless steel oh does it shine.

Tonight gauges they will be in front of the shifter and a tach next to the speedo. Who need an AM radio

Monday the throttle cable arrives. I am shooting for next weekend.

So today was Very Happy cheers Sad Sad Sad and lots of kitty litter and more cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 9:45 pm

Cool Cool Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug Empty

Back to top Go down

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next