Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
type 4
State Route
type 4

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: pic's   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 am

Now that the sun is out I was able to take this. I think the spring is broken between the accelerator pump and carburetor body. It is missing that little oomph.

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 3 3-19-110
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Amazon   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 10:47 am

It is time to order a book Turbomania from Amazon its an old but very good book. CB is out but Amazon has them. I have read two other turbo books but they were for water cooled motors. Aircooled is a little different and oh so expensive to make a mistake. scratch
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 11:49 am

That looks really good Dave.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: today's tweek   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 12:16 am

Somehow I found 5 minutes to get the carburetor off and worked on the accelerator pump. Major difference I need some new silicone hoses the hoses are not liking the gas. The clamps are not the best standard worm hose clamps not the T clamps. So it looks like more money will take care of all the issues. Starts right up and its getting better.

Mad
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Hei   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 12:22 am

I need to work on the HEI get some more timing out of it. I think its 8-10 degrees advancement so it maxes out around 20 plasma cutter time. I have a Chevy one I should take apart and see whats going on. That thing has so much voltage you gap the plugs like 50 I believe. I need to check what Chevy runs.

Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: great news   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 10:00 pm

My oil pressure gauge did not work and the light would come on ever once and a while. Pucker factor 9 plus. So I was running two senders on the Porsche one at the motor and one at the turbo. I pulled the motor sending unit and replaced with a stock sender. Put it in the bug and hallelujah oil pressure and no light coming on. Also traded boost gauges with the Porsche it shows vacuum and boost much better much better. Drove it to Dons house on the north side of the zoo and got a little boost going 5 lbs.

So the car is getting more drivable everyday. Some of you guys may not know this but you can drive it all day long and not get into boost. Remember back in the old days when you had an big V8 and you wanted to pass you put the pedal to the medal it would down shift to the passing gear and it would spring to life. Its just like that. And after you passed it cost you a quarter tank of gas it also just like that.

This week work on brakes. afro
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 11:13 pm

Almost there. Sounds like it will be set up just right.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: gap plugs   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 7:26 pm

No rear end does make changing plugs easier. I changed to a colder plug and gaped them.045. Now you guys running stock ignition systems you gap is like 25 or something close. The old plugs looked great

So I have had this for a year or two. Thought it would be cool in the Porsche but it hits the fan shroud. We tested it before and noticed it only had about 8-10 degrees advancement. So you get a total of around 20. I had an old Chevy HEI I rebuilt so I took off the vacuum advance and I believe it will work great. I also think the advance unit is tunable I know you can play with the timing curve. Slow, medium or fast advance.

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 3 1-26-113

This think should burn every bit of fuel going into the system. I have a hotter coil but you have to loosen the carburetor to install the cap.

I will do a test run after my CB order get here.

Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Wow! It sounds like you are going to have tooooo much power. Oh wait you can never have enough power.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Dann   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 10:43 am

I guess I time it with no vacuum at Idle and check the max or no vacuum and total advance and see how it starts. I think having a vacuum advance distributor should help with detonation.

Using a timing light with all those hot pipes is a two person job.

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will this Turbo system fit in my bug   Will this Turbo system fit in my bug - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Will this Turbo system fit in my bug
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3