Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dsimas

dsimas

Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway Empty
PostSubject: Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway   Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Do any of you ever take your cars down there on Fridays? I may take Hugo next week.... I wanna get a dial in for the current engine before the teardown.

Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway   Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 6:28 pm

I know David (David's74Super) does alot of drag racing. You might check with him.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway   Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 6:40 pm

After Bug-O-Rama I think I got, well, the 'bug' (haha) to start racing again.

I was thinking of going down there and checking it out next week.

Funny you should mention it.

I was going to see what the proverbial dealio is...

scratch
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway   Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 6:41 pm

Mateo, wanna go tonight???!!
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway   Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 6:44 pm

I would love to go tonight, but I am on the hook for work.

So I am out for this one, but next week is doable.

cheers
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway   Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 6:46 pm

Okay, let's stay in touch. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway   Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 3:09 am

Okay, I ended up going tonight anyways. Here's some pics and video.

Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway IMG00001-20110603-1902

Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway IMG00002-20110603-1902

Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway IMG00003-20110603-1903

I've been attending and in the pits for VW racing most of my life, but never behind the wheel. Here's a video of my first pass. Dialing in some times and teaching me how to drive the 1/4 mile. Starting in the pits and filmed to the end of the track... past it actually since I didn't know that the white light ahead wasn't the finish line, doh! I only got an 18.64, Hugo can do better. I didn't drop the clutch, I shifted too early, I don't want to break anything, it's my daily driver and we aren't racing anyone (although my ticket said I was a "Winner" every time!. But not bad considering it's a 25 year old 1600cc and we weighed 2100# and with a rookie driver. Love my close ratio 3rd, but going to put in a 1.00:1 fourth gear the next tranny. Building a 2045cc starting next week. ;-)

Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway   Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 9:28 am

LOOKS LIKE FUN. SO YOU JUST DID THE ONE PASS? 18.64 AINT TO BAD FOR 25 YEAR OLD ENGINE AND 2 IN THE CAR. GOOD JOB. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED A SET UP LIKE WILTON DAVE. A DAILY DRIVER BUG/CAR AND A STRIP CAR. USE THE DAILY WHEN THE STRIP CAR IS DOWN. HOPE YOU HAD FUN AND MAYBE ONE OF THESE DAYS I WILL GET DOWN THERE. ACTUALLY DID YOU HAPPEN TO RUN INTO DAVE. HE TOWS WITH HIS CAMO FORD PICKUP. HIS DRAG BUG IS BLACK AND YELLOW AND HIS DAILY IS TAN OFF WHITE (ROOF) AND BLACK (DRIVERS DOOR, MAYBE PASSENGER TOO)
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway   Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 10:50 am

Very cool!
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway   Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:52 am

I have only been denied three things that I can remember in 23 years of marriage. No drag racing (SBC rail) Not another Porsche, than you cannot drag the bug.

We all should go
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway   Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 2:35 pm

Thanks guys.

Cliff: We made 5 passes. I wanted to get a feel for the track and tree *before* my new engine scares the bejeezus out of me next time. And also to compare this ET to the new one we're going to build. But, I didn't want to hurt the tranny since I don't have the $ to work on that yet.

Ray wants to build a new racecar. Working on Tony's has gotten him back into the whole deal a lot this last year. And he said I can drive it when I'm ready. That'll feed my sickness I am sure. Ray and I have been friends for 30 years and he's always worked on my car.

Hugo will be fun for a kick in the pants on a daily basis, but I don't plan on ever racing it. EXCEPT for I *do* want to enter the Cal Look Challenge at BOR next Labor Day, so we'll be making a few passes a year for that...

Anybody wanting to go racing, please LMK!
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway   Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Oh, and nope, I never saw Dave. Only muscle cars. The gals in the admissions booth and the some gals on a golf cart that worked there was cheering and whoot-whoot'ing Hugo and I, being quite the underdog. Distaff Power!
cheers
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway   Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 5:50 pm

I am in...

Like I said, last Sunday gave me the idea.

There is not enough Ghias on the track anyways. Someone has to represent.

I am sure the motor I am putting in the '73 will provide for some fun.

I might be driving to Salt Lake to pick up the tranny this week.

cheers
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway   Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 7:18 pm

Mateo: That's exciting about your tranny this week. I want to chat more. Are you coming to Ice Cream (brrrr, sounds cold right now) on Tuesday? Wanna go together? Christiane and I are meeting at 5:30pm at the 76 station on Dry Creek Road. Smile

Ray wants to come also and we've invited Tony (Zerstorer race car).

Dawn
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway   Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway Empty

Back to top Go down

Test and Tune at Sacto Raceway
Page 1 of 1