Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

M Codes for a Type I, where?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dsimas

dsimas

M Codes for a Type I, where? Empty
PostSubject: M Codes for a Type I, where?   M Codes for a Type I, where? EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Where's the plate on my bug? I am ashamed to admit that I do not know. I never "restored" the car, so....haven't ever had one apart.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: M Codes for a Type I, where?   M Codes for a Type I, where? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 12:46 am

Do you mean the VIN? If so, it is under the back seat stamped in the tunnel. There may also be a plate on the front apron behind the spare tire.
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: M Codes for a Type I, where?   M Codes for a Type I, where? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 1:10 am

I know the VIN is under the backseat. I have a little story about how I know. Hugo was a stolen vehicle at one time and I had to sort that out because the car was confiscated from me when I tried to register it when I moved to NV. The DMV impounded it for being stolen in CA before I got it so it wasn't legally mine! I had to wait for the rightful owner from the late 1960's to accept her car back. I about died, I'd owned the car for years and it was a part of me. Thankfully, they couldn't find her after a few weeks and allowed me to take "ownership" of my car. That dang VIN was what opened that scary can of worms. The moment they pulled the seat out to look, I was HOPING it was wrong. Thankfully now, I have a complete history on the car from the day it was new. Smile

No, the MCode plate is different. It's a plate that tells the date the car was made, where, options it was equipped with, etc.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest1.php

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: M Codes for a Type I, where?   M Codes for a Type I, where? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 1:23 am

Interesting....... hope someone has some info on M codes. I've never come across that before.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: M Codes for a Type I, where?   M Codes for a Type I, where? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 1:26 am

I don't think the Type 1's have a plate for M-Codes like on the buses.

I had to order May's "birth certificate" which may or may not have the codes depending on what information is available.

I have not received it yet, so I can't really say one way or another.

And this is my experience as it pertains to a Ghia, Bugs could be different.

I could be totally wrong, but I have not been able to find anything on May.
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: M Codes for a Type I, where?   M Codes for a Type I, where? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 11:08 am

Hmmm, maybe you're right Mateo. After all, you'd think I would have seen one after, uhhhh, 33 years? But I saw the list of codes, so assumed there was a plate. But, maybe there are codes on paperwork somewhere, like the birth certificate?

How did you go about ordering it?
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: M Codes for a Type I, where?   M Codes for a Type I, where? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 11:25 am

Here is where I went for all of the ordering information.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398

There is some discussion about inaccuracies on the certificates, but I went for it anyway.

It has been about 2 months now...
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: M Codes for a Type I, where?   M Codes for a Type I, where? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 11:44 am

NOT SURE ON THE VWS BUT I BEING A AUTO TECH THE NEWER CARS HAVE ALL THAT INFO IN THE VIN. 10TH IS THE YEAR OF MAN. 8TH IS ENGINE SIZE. 3RD IS MAKE. THINK ITS 5TH IS THE MODEL. SO ON AND SO FORTH.
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: M Codes for a Type I, where?   M Codes for a Type I, where? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Bugs do not have an M-code plate. It would be cool if they did though.
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: M Codes for a Type I, where?   M Codes for a Type I, where? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 1:29 am

Thanks Greg, as I suspected then. But there is a page of codes for Type 1 on thesamba (link above). I assume they are on the birth cert or something....
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: M Codes for a Type I, where?   M Codes for a Type I, where? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 11:17 pm

My options are actually listed on the pink slip. It say "SDDXSR."

Sedan Deluxe Sunroof
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: M Codes for a Type I, where?   M Codes for a Type I, where? Empty

Back to top Go down

M Codes for a Type I, where?
Page 1 of 1